Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1997, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Tue, 20 May 1997 17:41:01 PDT
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:   Louise Weiler <LAW4%Rates%FAR@GO50.COMP.PGE.COM>
Subject:   White Space in Flat File

SAS-Lers:

Yesterday I asked for a solution to rid myself of white space in flat files. I had been using the statement

put (var1-var6) (5. '~');

where some of the numeric variables were considerably shorter than length 5. I received a very simple solution from Tony Payne (thanks Tony!) who suggested using

put var1 (var2-var6) (+(-1) '~');

Until today, I had always disciplined myself to supply a format for every variable within a PUT statement. What a pleasant surprise to find out how unnecessary that is.

I also want to thank Bruce Kayton, Wolf Lesener, Chris Roper, Wei Yen, and Heather Russell for responding. It's possible that there have been more replies, but I receive SAS-L in digest form.

Louise Weiler Pacific Gas and Electric Company law4@pge.com