Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 9 Jun 1997 11:58:24 -0600
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         "White, Robin HSURC" <WhiteR@SDH.SK.CA>
Subject:      Help: Concatenate and/or date functions

Hi:

I can't find an example of the concatenate function but I'm sure it's the one I want.

The problem:

I've been given a numeric birthdate in the form: YYYYMM and I need to somehow create a new variable in the form: MMYYYY.

Why?

To my knowledge I can't simply transform the YYYYMM birthdate into a date field since SPSS aggregation functions don't include yyyymm. Spss does, however, have a mmyyyy date format.

My idea:

My thought was to create a new variable containing the last 2 columns of birthdate (MM) followed by the first 4 columns of birthdate (YYYY). Once I had this new variable (MMYYYY) I could then compute a date using the DATE.MOYR(m,y) function.

To do this, I thought I would convert the numeric birthdate variable into a string variable so that I could use the concatenate function to create the new variable (in the form MMYYYY).

But:

I can't find seem to get the form of the concatenate function right and can't find any examples in help or the SPSS manual. And at this point, I'm not 100% percent sure that the concatenate function can do what I'm hoping it can do.

I would appreciate any help re: the concatenate function or any other possible solution to this problem.

Many Thanks!

Robin White Research Officer HSURC