Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1997)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 17 Jun 1997 08:26:14 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Tverdek, Edward" <etverdek@SPSS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Data restructuring: Multiple cases

Chris: The example below should spread your "item" variables as a single variable across records, and result in the data structure you describe. By convention, uppercase terms are SPSS commands, and lower case terms are variable and file names of your choice. Test it on a subsample of your data and see if it does what you need.

VECTOR x=item1 to item3. LOOP newitem = 1 to 3. COMPUTE score = x(newitem). XSAVE OUTFILE = 'newfile.sav' /KEEP id newitem score. END LOOP. EXECUTE.

I hope this makes the job easier.

Ed Tverdek SPSS Technical Support