Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1997, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 28 Jul 1997 09:26:44 -0500
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Ronald P. Larkin" <r-larkin@UIUC.EDU>
Subject:      Statistics instruction via books? (was: Why SAS)

In article <33D6EE25.766C@ibm.net>, Anthony Ayiomamitis <ayiomamitis@ibm.net> wrote:

> Since when was SAS responsible for explaining to a user the > "statistical issues" behind a PROC or an option? SAS is, in one sense, a > library of tools for you to use as needed.... >...I don't think I > should be faulting SAS for not explaining it to me in their manuals. > There are ... books for this purpose.

This point of view seems kind of quaint in 1997 because the concept of a printed statistics text separate from statistics software is outdated. I wonder why, when we do statistics only with computers, we learn statistics from books. I look forward to a softcopy, highly interactive introduction to statistics (or to a specialty thereof) that is configurable to provide syntax, examples, and examinations using any one of several statistical packages.

Ron Larkin -- Ron Larkin (r-larkin@uiuc.edu) Illinois Natural History Survey, Champaign IL 61820