Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1997, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Aug 1997 20:17:09 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         Anthony Ayiomamitis <ayiomamitis@IBM.NET>
Subject:      Re: Column lengths in SQL

David Bohl wrote: > > Dear SQLers: > > I'm using the following snippet of SQL code to fetch the name > of the SAS working directory and store it in the macro variable > SASWORK: > > proc sql noprint; > select PATH into :SASWORK > from DICTIONARY.MEMBERS > where LIBNAME="WORK"; > quit; > > It seems to work fine unless the name of the SAS working directory > exceeds 80 characters. > > Admittedly, I'm no SQL expert, but I can't seem to find a way to > work around this 80-character limit. Is this an SQL-imposed limit, > or does the problem lie with DICTIONARY.MEMBERS? In any event, can > anybody offer a work-around? >

David,

I do not think that this is an SQL limitation as I tried a small example with a PROC SQL step and was able to generate and store a string that happened to be 150 bytes in length.

This leads me to suspect that this is a self-imposed limit by SAS on the length of the PATH that can be stored (this is confirmed by the example below where I purposely use the SASHELP libref which, under Windows, spans three lines when printed).

As a work-around, I would suggest looking at the PATHNAME function in SCL if your application is SAS/AF-based. Similarly, this SCL function is now also available in SAS/BASE. For example:

data _null_; path = %str (pathname('sashelp')); put path=; run;

Assuming that SAS wants to maintain the same data "architecture" across platforms, the limit of 80 bytes does seem reasonable as MVS, for example, has a screen width of 72 bytes within the file editor and around 80 bytes in native TSO.

Please let me know of any other feedback you receive as I would be interested in learning of other solutions or related problems.

Anthony.