Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (August 1997, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Aug 1997 10:30:22 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         Larry Bertolini <Larry.Bertolini@OSU.EDU>
Subject:      How to access SAS/MVS datasets from Windows (non-SAS) tools?

I'd like to be able to access MVS data (SAS Datasets, SAS Views, and SAS/ACCESS Views) from Windows-based clients (e.g. BrioQuery, InfoMaker, MS Access, Visual Basic, etc.) via ODBC, without running SAS for Windows on each client. I think I've got the general idea, but I've got some questions:

* I need to run a SAS SHARE Server on MVS, correct?

* Do I need to install a special, SAS-supplied ODBC driver on the PC, or will a Microsoft or Intersolv ODBC driver work?

* Can I update SAS Datasets & SAS/Access Views, via ODBC & SAS SHARE? (For example, can I update an IMS database via SAS/Access for IMS, from an ODBC client program?)

* Is there a good reference for how to put these pieces together? "Building Your Client/Server Solution with the SAS System" looks like a promising title; is this a good resource, and are there other good resources?

* I have a few questions about SAS Share:

* Security: does each ODBC user require an MVS RACF ID? Can access be controlled at the SAS dataset (table) level, or only at the SAS data library (database) level?

* Does the SHARE server track resource usage (e.g. CPU usage) by userid (for chargeback purposes)?

Thanks,

LB -- Larry Bertolini : Larry.Bertolini@osu.edu : "220, 221... University Technology Services : 1121 Kinnear Rd : whatever it Ohio State University : Columbus, OH 43212-1153 : takes."