Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1997)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Nov 1997 01:03:06 -0700
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         Terry Taerum <Terry.Taerum@UALBERTA.CA>
Subject:      Re: export file -- weired

mail wrote in message <971117.163121.CST.MWANG@ua1vm.ua.edu>... >Today I ran a spss on mainframe cms platform to export >a file. After downloading to a pc and ran pc/spss using >import procedure, I got an error message saying something >like ".. prematured end ..."

The SPSS portable file has either been truncated or characters towards the end of the file have been corrupted.

By way of explanation, SPSS portable files consist of records which are 80 characters in length. The last line of the file ends with a series of 'ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ's (or equivalent thereof). SPSS uses the last run of characters to determine if the portable file has been truncated.

Truncation can occur if the you run out of memory on the mainframe or the job aborted before completion.