Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (January 1998)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 Jan 1998 16:18:40 -0300
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Hector E. Maletta" <hmaletta@OVERNET.COM.AR>
Subject:      Re: seeking CHAID alternatives
Comments: To: Thomas J Welander <tomwelander@JUNO.COM>

Thomas J Welander wrote: > > Hey there, > I'm a CHAID user needing to evaluate what else is available in the > current crop of decision tree software. I like CHAID and don't have any > big desire to switch; the company needs me to do a routine software > evaluation. > > We primarily use CHAID for customer sat. applications, namely, examining > customer service attributes in survey data to see what predicts > satisfaction, customer loyalty, and value. For these purposes, the > important features of CHAID are 1) its ability to compare predictors of > mixed data types (nominal to ratio), 2) the predictor list output, and 3) > segmentation tree output. > > I'm mainly looking for testimonials from users of CHAID and its > alternatives. Also, any and all mentions of program names and other > places to find advice would be appreciated. And please steer me toward > the archives if y'all have covered this topic previously. > > I recognize some of your names from lurking sproradically in the past & > look forward to getting acquainted. > > Thanks, > Tom Welander > Elrick & Lavidge > Atlanta

Answer Tree is said to be the newly released SPSS alternative to CHAID. In fact, the CHAID chi-square-based method is but one of the approaches available with Answer Tree. But I haven't tasted it yet.

Hector Maletta Universidad del Salvador Buenos Aires, Argentina