Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1998)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Tue, 27 Jan 1998 03:59:01 GMT
Sender:   "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:   "John A. Grossbohlin" <grossboj@ULSTER.NET>
Subject:   SPSS 8.0 printing, crashes, etc.

I've been having problems printing with SPSS 8.0. At times sending either a selection or "all visible" to the printer results in little more than a page feed. I notice that the number of copies is grayed out when this happens. (Printing is handled through a Novel network.)

I've also had problems selecting more than one section from the viewer and printing it, e.g., the last half of the output that appears in the viewer. I haven't figured out a way to, say, select from a given point to the end of the document...

I've also been getting a lot of catastrophic errors that shut SPSS down. Sometimes Help is available and other times it isn't. Also, is there some undocumented maximum length on syntax? I built a syntax file that contained multiple ODBC database calls to create .sav files from Access data and the ODBC refused to run when I got up to about 890 lines. Mind you, I wasn't trying to run all these sections as one block... the last section was little more than a dozen lines and it absolutely refused to run. The viewer showed four lines of code being read and then it quit.

I'm running a P233 with 128 meg of RAM with WIN 95 and Office 97 and haven't had problems with any other apps.--including a complex Access 2.0 evaluation database that I support. (SPSS resides on the C: drive.) Has anyone noticed conflicts with SPSS and Norton Antivirus or with UPS management software that could be causing me problems--removing the TSRs doesn't seem to help...

Any tips or other feedback would be appreciated as I have a huge amount of programming to write and data to run by mid February and these problems are slowing me up big time! Going back to 6.1 isn't an option as the ODBC quit working when I installed Access 97...

John ...feeling like I'm on the bleeding edge of technology again!