Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 17 Apr 1998 15:13:35 -0700
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         Heidi Weiman <hweiman@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      SPSS 6.1

Hi. I'm a statistically challenged doc student in ed psych, so I hope that you will bear with me.

It took me literally months to figure out how to code the data in SPSS 6.14 for the attached questions (I hope it's okay to forward attachments --which I had to scan and so are bitmaps in Word for Windows 95). Now that I think I've finally got the coding down, I can't find the F test to run for question number 1. (And I'm not sure which test to run for question #2).

On question #1, I ran a one way ANOVA because it was the only test that had the option of running a post hoc, but I'm not sure if this is an appropriate test, and I don't really know if there were any statistically signficant differences --or, if there are, which post hoc tests to run. So I ran all possible post hocs and now I have an over abundance of output which I can't really decipher.

The first question calls for calculations by hand but I don't really know how to do that and I'm confused about the Ho and Ha because I thought they were supposed to be more like what is provided in question # 2, i.e., Ho: There is no difference due to order of shooting; Ha: There is a difference due to order of shooting; Hb: There are no interaction effects --rather than a specific value.

On question #2, I've got the Cell Means and results from a one way ANOVA but I don't have a clue about how to interpret it, or which post hocs to run there either.

Could someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

Heidi Weiman