Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 1998, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 18 Apr 1998 10:12:03 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         Sally Muller <sally@EMAIL.UNC.EDU>
Subject:      Warren Repole's SAS web classes....
Comments: cc: Research Triangle SAS Users Group <sug-l@listserv.unc.edu>

Hi SAS-Lers!

Our site, UNC-CH, just experienced the SI "on-site" classes: * Using Web Publishing Tools with SAS Output (1 day) * Running SAS Applications on the Web (2 days)

Warren Repole and Dan Horinek taught the class...Warren as the instructor and Dan as an apprentice...since Warren is also the author of the two texts accompanying the classes...it was Warren's show and what a show it was! Besides covering all the expected stuff, HTML, the SAS web publishing tools, etc. -- there was all this stuff sandwiched in between: data dictionary; control data set (PROC FORMAT CNTLIN); SQL; PROC GREPLAY and GSF; and lots of MACRO. It was **incredible** how much we learned in three days!!!

I credit this to Warren...Warren is awesome! He moves around in the front of the class like a conductor, accentuating this...long dramatic pauses...wild gesticulating...but all for a purpose.. and the result was a perfectly attentive class through the entire three days. As witness by the course evaluation that we passed out...the final question was "Overall evaluation of the course"

_14 responses_ EXCELLENT _4 responses_ GOOD _0_ FAIR _0_ POOR

Some of the comments: "The instructors were very helpful during the excercises" (Having the hands-on excercises between lectures is what makes the class so effective and during this time Warren and Dan walk around the class helping everyone and they incorporate material they see needs to be covered in the next lecture part.)

"Excellent presentation of concepts which are very difficult in themselves"

"Organization and clarity of instructors"

The major complaint was that the class was too short -- 5 responses out of 18.

I really feel good about the fact that here is a class that covers really important material and that I can highly recommend it to you and know that if you get Warren Repole as your instructor.... you'll be getting your moneys worth.

Best, Sally Muller

P.S. On the last day the SAS/IntrNet Application Dispatcher was discussed in term of performance and security issues...the security issues were particularly interesting to our folks. Also I would highly recommend taking BOTH the Web Publishing and Running SAS applications courses. Some of our folks opted for just the dynamic course (Running SAS Apps) but as was made clear the users needs fall somewhere on a continuum between "Report distribution (static)" and "Application distribution (dynamic)," and although the second class does also cover the SAS web publishing tools, I liked having the more in depth coverage that the first class offered.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~ Sally Muller ~ ~ Statistical Support Group and Gibbs Migration Project Manager ~ ~ UNC-CH Academic Technology and Networks ~ ~ Voice: 919.962.5278 Fax: 919.962.2654 ~ ~ Email: Sally_Muller@unc.edu ~ ~ ~ ~ Visit the help pages: ~ ~ Statistical Support Group - http://help.unc.edu/statistical ~ ~ Gibbs Migration Homepage - http://help.unc.edu/statistical/gibbsmig ~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~