Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 13 May 1998 13:01:37 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         Stephen Baker <stephen.baker@UMMED.EDU>
Subject:      Re: ROC curves for yes/no response
Comments: To: Jeff Mather <Jmather@HARTHOSP.ORG>

The ROC analysis is generally used to evaluate the inherent predictive value of an instrument for a dicotomous outcome. If the instrument is dichotomous the analysis becomes meaningless, the appropriate analysis is a sensitivity/specificity analysis, i.e # true positives/(true positives + false negatives) and # true negatives/(true negatives+false positives). Since your instrument I understand is this sort.

-- Stephen P. Baker, MScPH (617) 210-5695 Director, Research and Evaluation (617) 451-7105 fax Massachusetts Division of Medical Assistance sbaker@nt.dma.state.ma.us 600 Washington Street http://www.ummed.edu/pub/s/sbaker Boston, Massachusetts 02111