Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 May 1998 10:32:26 -0700
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Ann Jacobson, PhD, RN" <ajacobso@KENT.EDU>
Subject:      recoding variables

A colleague asked me the following question. I post it to the list with her permission. Will forward any feedback to her.

Thanks, Ann

pjd@nowonline.net wrote: > > Ann. The SPSS problem is related to recoding variables into a new > variable. > When I take an existing variable with 4 possible responses eg 1,2,3,4 > and I want to recode so only one of the responses is identified as > "correct" eg if item 2 from one variable is correct the recode would > look like 1=0, 2=1, 3=0, 4=0. That works fine. When I go to the next > variable and the "correct response" is eg 3 then I recode 1=0, 2=0, 3=1, > 4=0. This recode works fine but then once it is executed the previous > variable that was recoded is now recoded with the second variable > recode. Any ideas? > > Peggy