Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 28 May 1998 11:46:28 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         craig enders <cenders@UNLINFO.UNL.EDU>
Subject:      missing value function ?

I am having troubles using one of the missing value functions on the release 4.0 of SPSS running on a unix mainframe. According to the SPSS reference guide, the following command should return the number of missing values for each case on the listed variables:

compute newvar = missing(x1) + missing(x2) + missing(x3)

So I should be getting a value ranging from 0 to 3 for each case. Instead, I keep getting an error message stating the following:

Error 4307. Text: + . One of the operands for the arithmetic operation is other than a numeric variable or numeric expression.

Any clues? Does this function no longer work? BTW, all of the vars are numeric variables.

Thanks, Craig Enders cenders@unlinfo.unl.edu