Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 May 1998 14:46:39 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         Max Martin <mmartin@EDGEWOOD-SA.K12.TX.US>
Subject:      Re: SMCs
Comments: To: "John A. Schinka, Ph.D." <jschinka@COM1.MED.USF.EDU>

If I remember my grad training, Principal Axis Factoring uses the SMCs of the variables as initial estimates of communalities along the principal diagonal of the R matrix before factor extraction. These estimates are then changed at each iteration until the final communalities are calculated upon termination of the factor routine. Hence, there would be no reason to expect the SMCs to be identical with the final communalities.

Hope this helps

Max

%&%&%&%&%&%&%&%&%&%&%&%&%&%&%&%& Dr. Max R. Martin Senior Evaluator Department of Research, Evaluation, Info Systems & Technology Edgewood ISD, San Antonio, TX 210-431-9120 FAX: 210-433-5134 mmartin@edgewood-sa.k12.tx.us %&%&%&%&%&%&%&%&%&%&%&%&%&%&%&%& Experience is a wonderful teacher-- it allows us to recognize a mistake after we've made it again! %&%&%&%&%&%&%&%&%&%&%&%&%&%&%&%& -----Original Message----- From: John A. Schinka, Ph.D. <jschinka@COM1.MED.USF.EDU> Newsgroups: bit.listserv.spssx-l To: SPSSX-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU <SPSSX-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU> Date: Thursday, May 14, 1998 8:13 AM Subject: SMCs