Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 28 May 1998 11:11:47 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Tverdek, Edward" <etverdek@SPSS.COM>
Subject:      Re: how to use table cell info in syntax
Comments: To: Gonzalo Kmaid <gkmaid@INTERNET.COM.UY>

Gonzalo,

The CROSSTABS procedure has a WRITE subcommand available in command syntax which, in combination with the PROCEDURE OUTPUT command, can write the cell counts to a text file. This file can be read back into SPSS and merged with your original data through a table look-up MATCH for further processing.

In your case, however, I think it might be easier to avoid producing contingency tables altogether and to determine the joint frequency counts for each combination of age, sex, and region through the AGGREGATE procedure. If you BREAK on each of these variables and ask for the number of cases within each break group, SPSS will return a file with as many cases are there are unique combinations of the values (i.e. the number of cells you would have across your layered tables). You can then use MATCH FILES (Data...Merge Files...Add Variables on the menus), assigning age, sex, and region as your key variables and, again, treating the aggregated outfile as a TABLE to assign the "cell counts" back to each case on your original file. Thus for each case, you'll have a new variable which represents the count of whichever cell it would fall into had you actually done Crosstabs. You can then divide this variable by the total number of cases to generate the weighting variable you describe.

I hope I've understood your question and that these suggestions are useful,

Ed Tverdek SPSS Technical Support