Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 May 1998 10:59:40 -0700
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Victoria M. Wilkins" <vwilkins@DATASYNC.COM>
Subject:      Re: Read: Windows 95/NT:  Submit clipboard
Comments: To: Lary Jones <ljones@BINGHAMTON.EDU>

I too have the problem with both Internet Explorer and Lotus Notes.

Victoria Wilkins

-----Original Message----- From: Lary Jones [SMTP:ljones@BINGHAMTON.EDU] Sent: Monday, May 18, 1998 10:06 AM To: SAS-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: Read: Windows 95/NT: Submit clipboard

Subject: difficulty with messages in "winmail" format Summary: mail in "winmail" format may not be readable; best to stick to monofont ascii Respondent: Lary Jones <ljones@binghamton.edu>

At 11:50 AM 5/18/98 -0400, Michel Guillet wrote: >Attachment Converted: "c:\program files\buick95\eudora\attach\winmail1.dat"

This is the entire text of this message as I received it. Question: Do others have problems with mail in "winmail" format?

I am not trying to fault Michel Guillet specifically. His message is merely an illustrative instance of a problem with messages in "winmail" format. Many times all I am getting is notification of an attachment which is not readible by Word, WordPerfect, or any of the other editors I have at hand. I am using the latest release of Eudora Light (3.05). I mention this because I want to let those sending mail in this format to know that their messages may not be reaching a number of other subscribers. I think it is still good practice to send mail:

1) using a monofont (even spacing helps with debugging data problems) 2) ascii text (so everyone can read it), not html or specialized formats 3) limited to < 80 characters per line 3) with an identifying header _in the body of the message_ -- some mailers strip out much of the mail header.

Thanks, Lary Jones _______________________________________________________ Lary Jones % Statistical Computing Analyst Computing Services % .......................... Binghamton University % LJones@Binghamton.EDU Binghamton, NY 13902-6000 % (607) 777-2879