Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 1998, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 May 1998 14:26:14 EDT
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         F J Kelley <JKELLEY@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
Subject:      Re: VM to AIX conversion

I am assuming this is about raw data files being sent (via ftp?) from the VM to the AIX box. Are the lines being cut at 80 (and having a <cr> inserted) or being wrapped at 80 (which only affects how they are displayed)? If the former, then there is a problem with your transfer method, if the latter, then your SAS programs should be ok (but be aware that now all lines are 'variable length' and you will have a number of _odd_ problems with less-than-full lines). You can modify the program to use varying-length formats (especially for the variables at the end of the line), or you can modify the INFILE to blank-pad up to some length, or you can out-and-out cheat and write a program that will write something in a column location that is safely beyond the end of the data on each line. Transferring SAS portable files should not be a problem, though remember they are binary and you don't want the system to perform ebcdic-to-ascii xlation. -- Joe