Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Mon, 22 Jun 1998 13:19:18 GMT
Sender:   "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:   bjj103@MY-DEJANEWS.COM
Subject:   CHAID w/continuous variables

My knowledge of SPSS is nearly a decade out of date. Can someone tell me whether one can use CONTINUOUS (interval or ratio-level scaled) variables as independent variables in an SPSS-CHAID tree? Specifically, I have a binary outcome (Dependent variable) I am looking to classify using a bundle of both nominal and continuous independent variables. I'd like to see the tree contain some of these continuous variables split at some optimal "cut point" should they help classify the outcome variable. However, my research vendor claims this isn't possible with SPSS-CHAID, that SPSS's CHAID product works only with nominal independent variables.

My experience with CART and prior expectation of SPSS suggests SPSS can indeed handle both types. Is this not true?

Much, much thanks in advance.

Brent Johnson,Ph.D. Intel corp market research brent.johnson@intel.com