Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Mon, 15 Jun 1998 11:43:26 -0600
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:   Jack Hamilton <jack_hamilton@HCCOMPARE.COM>
Subject:   Re: Program Tools
Comments:   To: lex.jansen@LEX-JANSEN.DEMON.NL

Lex Jansen <lex.jansen@LEX-JANSEN.DEMON.NL> wrote:

> I come from a VAX/VMS environment. There you have nice tools to compare > files, search & replace strings in multiple files at once, etc. > Now I am switching to Windows NT. Does anyone know of nice tools that > you can use in this environment.

The NT command COMP compares two files.

You can use FINDSTR to find a string in several files. You can search for text or for regular expressions.

I don't know a built-in way to replace strings in multiple files. You could use EDLIN in a .BAT file, but it's yucky. Or you could do it with Perl or REXX if either is installed on your machine (I think they come on the Resource Toolkit CD-ROM).

> I already found a very nice program editor: PFE > (http://www.lancs.ac.uk/people/cpaap/pfe/).

Yes, it's a good editor, especially since it's free.

You might also want to look at KEDIT from Mansfield Software (www.kedit.com). It's similar to XEDIT under VM/CMS and the ISPF editor under MVS (the interactive SAS program editor is a copy of XEDIT with many of the useful features removed). I think it includes a macro to change a string in all open files.