Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Fri, 19 Jun 1998 11:03:15 -0400
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:   "Dorfman, Paul" <pdorfma@UCS.ATT.COM>
Subject:   Re: MVS/EBCDIC SAS question, unsigned packed format?

Paul Dorfman, in part, wrote in response to Thomas Hanan:

>Your code is not ugly, and yes, you can read anything, even this really >ugly packed hexadecimal where low nibble has no meaning, with $PHEX5w.. >But write it with a format can you not, to the best of my awareness. >Maybe SI has decided that writing data this way doesn't make sense; I >tend to agree with that. If I have an always positive numeric with even >number of digits and want to save a byte, then PKw. will do it just >fine. If the sign is significant, then PDw. will do the job. But why >lose a byte and have nothing in return? > >All that having been said, I'd still like to have something like PHEXw. >just in case like yours, so that it would be easier to satisfy the needs >of some Cobol folks insisting that the insane data representation be >used merely because of being too lazy to change a copybook. And, of >course, I'd be happy to find out that I'm wrong, that packed hexadecimal >with trailing x'f' is quite important and necessary, and that a format >to write it already exists.

Paul,

Damn right, you are wrong. You should've looked better. The original poster of the question himself, Tom Hanan, has sent me a note that, buried in the depth of P-242, there lurks S370FPDUw.d . Happy now?

So, before posting your replies, make sure you've gone through all the technical reports and know what the hell you are talking about!

Kindest personal regards,

Paul M. Dorfman Citibank UCS Decision Support Systems Jacksonville, FL