Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1998, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Thu, 18 Jun 1998 12:47:42 -0600
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:   Jack Hamilton <jack_hamilton@HCCOMPARE.COM>
Subject:   Re: MVS/EBCDIC SAS question, unsigned packed format?
Comments:   To: thomas.hanan@PRUDENTIAL.COM

Thomas Hanan <thomas.hanan@PRUDENTIAL.COM> wrote:

>This question falls under the category "there's gotta be a format for >this". I've scanned my battered language manual and tech report P-222, and >unless I've just missed it somewhere, I can't find a format that does what >I want. What I'm looking for is a format that will create an unsigned >numeric value. For example, I want the numeric value 123456789 to show up >as (in hex): > >13579 >2468F

You need to look in P-242, which describes the S370FPDUw.d format. It "Writes unsigned packed decimal data in IBM mainframe format". The example shows 123 being written as hex 123F.

I'm not sure whether this format has a different or additional name on IBM systems, but it's worth trying.

By the way, I'm not sure why this is called an "unsigned number". Isn't it always handled as though it's a positive number?