Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Thu, 2 Jul 1998 16:32:25 -0500
Sender:   "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:   "Nichols, David" <nichols@SPSS.COM>
Subject:   Re: How big a PC would be required ??
Comments:   To: Jan Winchell <WINCHELL@KENTVM.KENT.EDU>

I generated 7000 cases with 500 variables and tried a PC extraction with varimax rotation and was able to do it with MXMEMORY set to 64000 (64 MB), so yes, that PC should be sufficient.

David Nichols Principal Support Statistician and Manager of Statistical Support SPSS Inc.

---------- From: Jan Winchell [SMTP:WINCHELL@KENTVM.KENT.EDU] Sent: Tuesday, June 16, 1998 12:21 PM To: SPSSX-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU Subject: How big a PC would be required ??

I have been asked by a researcher if the PC he plans to buy for his project will, indeed, be sufficient for his task. He wants to run Factor Analysis with approx 5000-7000 cases and 500 variables. I thought there used to be a formula for calculating the memory requirements, but can't locate it in my manuals (all the way back to 3.0) or off the archives. Can anyone help ? His minimum plan was a 233 Pentium with 128m of RAM and a 4G hard drive.

TIA