Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Jul 1998 10:10:19 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         Claudia Bullock <CBullock@HCFA.GOV>
Subject:      Manners and respect -Reply

Ray,

I'm somewhat shocked and confused by your post. You seem to imply that I (a newbie on the list) made personal statements slamming an individual who is well respected on this list (Michael), during the "record layout" thread. It seems that you are admonishing me to show more manners and respect.

For the record, my comments were not given as personal attacks, rather they were given in a detached manner to correct what I percieved to have been stated in error (without any particular knowledge or regard to the personality or status of the person whom I was trying to correct).

From where I sit, if an injustice was done at all, it was done to me, when valid comments were met with sarcasm, rather than taken seriously. Sarcasm does not translate well over the net, and it took me a while to recognize the full extent of the sarcasm. If anyone has been treated rudely, it was me.

Claudia

>>> Ray Pass <raypass@WORLDNET.ATT.NET> 07/27/98 12:22am >>> ... been watching the little "Record Layout" thread escalate a bit while getting a few giggles out of it ... now I have a question for Mike R - Who ghost wrote the best-selling, "must-have-on-your-MVS/SAS-bookshelf" SAS-BBU book, "Tuning SAS Applications in the MVS Environment" for you? Obviously someone who knows nothing about the dataset manipulation(???) procedure called PROC CONTENTS and very little about MVS and SAS in general could not have done it by themselves under their own steam.

Incredulous minds wanna know.

Now for my comment. I've noticed quite a few SAS-L newbies on the list lately. All are more than welcome! The list is for the general SAS user community and is extremely useful and productive. I would however make one small suggestion. Get to know the list a bit before making personal comments. If it's a question or an answer you wish to offer, please do not hesitate at all - there is no waiting period here and no question or answer is more important than any other. But, you should really get to know the personality of the list and the players before making statements about individuals. There are some revered members on this list who have been around for quite a while, selflessly benefiting others. When the likes of an Ian or Mike are slammed, at whatever level, bandwidth is being terribly wasted. Tempers flare and flames explode at times but they are rarely, if ever, useful. I personally find the DELETE key to be one of the most useful on my keyboard. End of sermon.

Ray

/---------------------------------------------------\ | Ray Pass voice: (914) 693-6349 | | ASG, Inc. fax: on request | | 5 Sinclair Place | | Hartsdale, NY 10530 e-mail: raypass@att.net | \---------------------------------------------------/