Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1998, week 5)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Wed, 29 Jul 1998 19:30:32 -0400
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:   Jules Bosch <jxb@BELLATLANTIC.NET>
Subject:   Re: manners/respect REAL life
Comments:   To: Laura Personal <calgaryinnyc@HOTMAIL.COM>

Laura Personal wrote: > > Hello Sas Users: > > I am not a newbie, although using an alias and a fake email accnt. > > I am faced with a situation which I am uncertain how to deal with. Im in > my mid 20s, have been employed at my present position for 4 years. Have > attended SUGI and NYUSERS group meetings. Have been posting and helping > in SAS-L for 3 years. Know both Ian and Ray as well as many of the SAS-L > 'regulars'...and people from NYUsers Group. > > Although, this is not SAS related...I need your advice. > > I have enjoyed a very 'pleasant' (over all (there was one other incident > not with the below mentioned though)) working environment (for 3 years), > although, recently that has been changed. > > A co-worker, a PhD, slapped me across my face last Friday. He hasnt > apologized, I have not filed charges. (He slaped me according to him, > because he was frightened and it was a reaction.) I went to our > supervisor and brought his attention to this matter. This is where I am > not sure how to act. > > I feel that my boss has no regard for my safety, nor for taking steps to > acknowledge how severe this type of behavior should be dealt with. > > Monday I at the end of the day approached him (boss) to find the status > of the situation and how it was being dealt with. I strongly believe and > feel if my safety and my sense of security wre an issue to him, he would > have called me into his office. The fact that I had to go is a statement > in itself. I learned that he(boss) spoke to the 'slapper' and the > 'slapper' claimed it was a reaction. At this 'meeting' I felt that no > steps were taken to insure that the 'slapper' take responsibility for > his actions. Further, I requested that 'the slapper' apologize to me. > > To which the boss responded 'i am not a social mediator, you work your > personal differences on your own!' with a grimace and a tone that > suggested 'Ive had enough, and you are a problem.' > > We have a policy against workplace violence 'the (nameofcomp) is > committed to providing a work environment that is safe and secure as > possible...this includes, but is not limited to threatening, fighting, > assault and sexual harassment. Violation of this policy is grounds for > disciplinary action up to and including termination from employment'. > > What DO YOU ALL think disciplinary action means? > > I am sooooooooooo angry. I am a professional...and I feel that no one > realizes how severe striking a woman (or anyone) is. > > Initially I didnt want the 'slapper' fired, I wanted the boss to > acknowledge what happened, and to take STRONG measures against it. > I surmise I cant specify how belittled I felt why my boss, tells me > > A. "There are worse things than being hit accross the face. We live in a > sheltered society. Woman are being beaten by their boyfriends/husbands > everyday." (i was bewildered as an educated man tells me this.) > > B."Why are you starring at me?" [I was speechless when he said he wasnt > a mediator] (in an extremely RUDE Belittling tone, like Im occupying his > time with shit). > > I feel like women have rights here. The simplest is to resign. Although, > I dont back down from a fight. > > Any and all suggestions are welcome...and please dont frwd this around, > because the PhD is also a statistican/SAS programmar. > > ______________________________________________________ > Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com

Laura,

Get yourself a King-sized lawyer who is a King-sized SOB and go for the lottery. Let us know how you make out.

Jules