Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 Aug 1998 15:57:58 -0600
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         John Rene Lastre <JRLASTRE@MICRONPC.COM>
Subject:      Re: READING SURVEY DATA FROM A WEBPAGE INTO SPSS USABLE FORM
Comments: To: ehaines@EMAIL.GC.CUNY.EDU

If I recall correctly, v.8 now lets one specify a value delimiter. Forgive me. I don't use v.8 that often. But in the brand spanking new SYNTAX Manual for v.8 under Data List p.211:

"Value Delimiter. For freefield-format data (keywords FREE and LIST), you can specify the character(s) that separate data values, or you can use the keyword TAB to specify the tab-character as the delimiter. Any delimiter other than the TAB keyword must be enclosed in quotes, and the specification must be enclosed in paratheses, as in DATA LIST FREE (",")."

So theoretically (I guess):

DATA LIST FREE (""TAB"")

---------- From: Elizabeth L. Haines[SMTP:ehaines@EMAIL.GC.CUNY.EDU] Sent: Monday, August 10, 1998 5:28 AM To: SPSSX-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU Subject: READING SURVEY DATA FROM A WEBPAGE INTO SPSS USABLE FORM

Dear all:

I have constructed an online survey using frontpage 98 and when I get the data and read it into SPSS (using the get translate command) frontpage gives me all the numerical data as text data (with quotes"" around each number). The data are in tab delimited form.

Is there any way SPSS can get rid of the "" and read this data as numbers? And, does anyone have more advice about integrating on-line data collection with SPSS 8.0?

Thanks so much

Elizabeth Haines