Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1998)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Aug 1998 10:50:37 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Matheson, David" <davidm@SPSS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Transformations
Comments: To: "Douglas J. Anderson" <Douglas.Anderson@ENMU.EDU>

Douglas, For w = reciprocal square root of x ,which I'm interpreting as simply 1/(square root of x):

compute w = 1/sqrt(x) .

For w = log base 2 of x:

compute w = ln(x)/ln(2).

where ln is the natural log function. For the log to other bases, replace 2 in the denominator with the required base. You can run both of the above transformations from the Transform->Compute menu in versions of SPSS with a graphic user interface (GUI).

David Matheson SPSS Statistical Support