Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1998)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 Sep 1998 10:33:44 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Tverdek, Edward" <etverdek@SPSS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Syntax Problems? Tell SPSS

Chris sent me a note clarifying the "conversion program" he was trying to use. It's essentially PCTOWIN.SPS with an expanded Win 95-friendly file name: "SPSS PC+ syntax converter.sps." If you're lazy like me and look for "PCTOWIN.SPS" via Start->Find, you won't find it. It is indeed copied to the default directory during installation, however, and remains available even in the most current versions of SPSS. I stand corrected.

As the file name suggest, it's not going to be helpful for any and all SPSS command files you might inherit. It's likely that many data warehouses are distributing "SPSS" files in the form of ASCII data and an older, SPSSx command file to read them. As I mentioned earlier, SPSSx syntax formats differed from PC+ formats, primarily in the use of command terminators.

Thanks to Chris for drawing my attention to the current version of PCTOWIN.

Ed Tverdek SPSS Technical Support