Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1998)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Sep 1998 23:12:43 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         Stefan Jonsson <stefanj@POP.PSU.EDU>
Subject:      Cluster analysis - input data

Dear all SPSS-ers

I have two related technical questions on Cluster analysis. The first one is on input format and the second one on memory and time limitation.

I am going to perform a cluster analysis on a sample with n=5500 I am going to calculate distances between cases in another application (TDA).

Is it possible to insert the distance matrix or distance list from a file looking like this?

27 26 6.00 28 1 2.29 28 4 2.29 28 6 3.58 28 7 4.29 28 9 2.29 28 10 9.75 28 11 10.60 28 12 12.57 28 14 9.40 28 17 4.60 28 18 6.20 28 21 9.00 28 23 10.75 28 24 3.29 28 25 10.00

The first column is the ID for case A and second column is the ID for case B the last column is the distance between these two individuals. The lower diagonal matrix would be to big for me to construct when this is the output format from TDA If it is not possible to input these data into SPSS suggestions of alternative program for cluster analysis highly appreciated

The second question is is not as important as I will probably find out after I insert the data. Given that I will be able to squeeze the data into SPSS in the format mentioned above, do I still face the same memory-time limitation. In other words, using Cluster, is the distance measure-procedure less or more time-space consuming than the clustering-process of the cases given the distances? Where is the cluster analysis memory-time bottleneck located?

Best regards

Stefan Jonsson Graduate student in sociology Penn State University