Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1998)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 Sep 1998 10:29:19 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         Lary Jones <ljones@BINGHAMTON.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Macintosh Statistical Programs
Comments: To: Aiso Vos <Aiso.Vos@NET.HCC.NL>

At 10:48 AM 9/8/98 +0200, Aiso Vos wrote: >I have been following this continuing "Mac-discussions" for a long time >now, and I would like to express my thoughts on this subject. > >How is it possible that whenever some kind of software doesn't run >smoothly on a Windows-machine, everyone points their arrows at >Microsoft, while on the other hand when SPSS does not run on a Mac no >one seems to blame Apple?

Ah... That is a good question. In part, the answer relates to the ease on the Macintosh of adding third party "system" components such as control panels and extensions. My experience is that most problems occurred in cases where individuals did not upgrade third party components when they upgraded the version of their operating system. Sometimes, the problem was that individuals grabbed the latest operating system upgrade (from Apple) without considering whether it was stable or beneficial.

I will contend that the mix of third party control panels and system upgrades in the 7.5 era were very trying and that Apple and third party developers bare somewhat equal responsibility. It was essentially symptomatic of the unsettled Mac universe which made it difficult major stat. vendors to commit to continuing development and upgrades. I hope that SPSS, SAS, and others will reconsider based on the presently solid state of the Macintosh platform.

-Lary Jones

P.S. I have had a Mac since April 1984 & would estimate that SPSS has crashed/hung only about 1 out of every 6-700 uses on the Mac. I use, and support, SPSS 7 and 8 on Windows 95 and NT. Rel. 8 is very stable for us. _______________________________________________________ Lary Jones % Statistical Computing Analyst Computing Services % .......................... Binghamton University % LJones@Binghamton.EDU Binghamton, NY 13902-6000 % (607) 777-2879