Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1998)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Thu, 3 Sep 1998 14:09:07 -0500
Sender:   "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:   Edward Tverdek <etverdek@SPSS.COM>
Subject:   Re: reorganizing data sets & vectors/arrays

I responded to this yesterday but still don't see it posted, so I'm responding again. Forgive me the the first makes it through and this is redundant.

I asked our webmaster to post to the SPSS Base FAQ sample jobs which illustrate both of the procedures that Frank describes. They're already up; you can find them under the heading "Restructuring the case base of an SPSS file" at

http://www.spss.com/tech/FAQ-SPSS.html#Q3

I hope this helps,

Ed Tverdek SPSS Technical Support

Frank H. Jurden wrote: > > several listers have posted questions regarding the problem of > transposing data *by case* in spss. for the uninitiated, this problem > is one of transforming the "traditional data set" (consisting of a > single record for each respondent and multple columns for the variables) > into one in which the respondents are "stacked" (viz., the same > respondent may occupy multiple rows). so if the original data set > contains N cases and p variables, the transposed data set will contain N > x p rows (and some number of columns). > > on occassion, the opposite is required (taking multiple rows for each > respondent and "stringing them out" across multiple columns. > > althought spss does have a transpose function, it can not be done by > case (btw, sas does). > > i have faced this problem several times, and it took quite a lot of > digging and debugging to get the code to work (sorry folks - no menu > options here!). it involves a combination of the "input program" and > "loop - end loop" syntax (copies of which i can post if anyone wants). > > i'd like to see spss incorporate this into their FAQ or on their > website.