Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (September 1998)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 3 Sep 1998 12:47:32 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Nichols, David" <nichols@SPSS.COM>
Subject:      Re: one last nested ANOVA question

Jenny and I have been over her design to a certain extent off line, but I wanted to clarify for others interested that in the general case, these kinds of issues are quite data specific, not a general function of covariates with nested designs.

David Nichols Principal Support Statistician and Manager of Statistical Support SPSS Inc.

-----Original Message----- From: JENNY A NOVOTNY [SMTP:jnovotny@du.edu] Sent: Monday, August 31, 1998 12:52 PM To: SPSSX-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU Subject: one last nested ANOVA question

One last question for the list regarding nested ANOVAs in SPSS 7.5

Could someone explain how the covariate is handled within a nested design? I noticed from running my analyses both with and without the covariate (and asking only for covariate main effects rather than factor by covariate interactions) that

1) no test of the covariate could be done 2) no parameter for the covariate is estimated 3) the covariate (as specified for main effect only) seems to affect only the main effect for the factor involving the nesting (and NOT any of the interactions with that factor).

Am I to interpret from these results that 1) I need to include all factor*covariate interactions or 2) the effect of the covariate is only interpretable for some factors

I have set up my analysis as a split plot design with 3 factors (with an additional factor nested within 1 factor) and 1 covariate.

Thanks!

Jenny Novotny University of Denver (student)