Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1998, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Thu, 3 Sep 1998 05:32:56 -0400
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:   Tra <Tra@PROTEUS.CO.UK>
Subject:   Reading Excel files using OLE/DDE

I have a SAS program which opens and reads a series of Excel files using the DDE command interface.

I want to do something similar using OLE as, (i) the OLE automation object gives more control over Excel (ii) the DDE command interface is based on old style Excel 4.0 macros, which are poorly documented, and I have heard are not supported by the latest version of Excel such as Excel 97.

I have some AF applications which successfully use the OLE interface, so I know how to do it and I have some SCL methods I can reuse.

Is there a way to communicate with an OLE automation object from within SAS code, or do I need to port the whole program into AF. More generally, is there a way to send commands to an AF application from within SAS code?

Any thoughts or experiences would be welcome.

Thanks

Tim Auton Proteus Molecular Design Ltd tra@proteus.co.uk