Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1998, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 Sep 1998 15:13:39 -0500
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         Melinda MayField <Melinda_MayField@MGMT.PURDUE.EDU>
Subject:      repeated measures anova problem

If you can help, please email privately at melinda_mayfield@mgmt.purdue.edu.

I need help figuring out how to analyze this data in SAS. I distributed 4 forms of a research survey. Form 1 contains (1) first a competency statement; (2) then task statements. Form 2 contains (1) first task statements; (2) then a competency statement. Form 3 contains (1) first a competency statement; (2) then KSA statements. Form 4 contains (1) first KSA statements; (2) then a competency statement. The competency statements are always identical in all 4 forms, the task statements are identical in forms 1 and 2, and the KSA statements are identical in forms 3 and 4.

I want to analyze the effect of (1) order of competency statement (beginning or end) and (2) question type on subject ratings on our scales (task, KSA, or competency). I created scales by averaging the ratings on the task items and KSA items within a form. The competency statement has its own rating. So I have 3 variables: "TASKFREQ," "KSAFREQ," and "COMPFREQ." The complication is that I want to compare 3 levels of question type: task, KSA, and *competency*. How to do this confuses me, since the competency statements were on the same surveys as the task and KSA statements (i.e., I have 4 forms with competency statements, but only two with task statements and two with KSA statements). I can't name the competency and KSA/task scales the same since they are in the same dataset, and the same respondents filled out both task and competency statements OR both KSA and competency statements. How do I set up the ANOVA to look for differences in all 3 question type responses? I've tried using repeated measures ANOVA (using TASKFREQ, KSAFREQ, and COMPFREQ as the repeated measures), but I keep getting an error message that one of the variables is missing or has a freq of zero. I presume this is because "TASKFREQ" only appears in Forms 1 and 2, and "KSAFREQ" only appears in Forms 3 and 4. In case it helps, below I've pasted the SAS code I used for the unsuccessful repeated measures ANOVA. How do I handle this?

Please email me privately at melinda_mayfield@mgmt.purdue.edu.

PROC GLM DATA=ALLKIND; CLASS ORDER; MODEL TASKFREQ KSAFREQ COMFRQ1 = ORDER / NOUNI; REPEATED QTYPE 3 CONTRAST (1) / SUMMARY; run;