Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 10 Oct 1998 07:12:54 +1000
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         Tim Churches <tchurch@IBM.NET>
Subject:      Re: Remote submitting SAS programs to an NT server
Comments: To: Darran Slator <Darran_Slator@NEXT.CO.UK>

Darran Slator wrote: > > Does anyone know how to remote submit a SAS program on a PC to run on a > Windows NT Server so that the PC is not waiting while the job is running? > > I have signed on the server using SAS/Connect which is installed on both > the PC and the server using TCP/IP and no script file. SAS spawner is > running on the server. > > I have used the following code: > > submit continue remote; > > proc upload infile ='c:\sas\magic\preview.sas' outfile='e:\programs\test\ > preview.sas' status=no; > run; > > %INCLUDE 'e:\programs\test\preview.sas'; > > endsubmit; > > But PC SAS is tied up while the job is running. > > I have tried using the X statement and %sysexec macro to run the SAS > program with no joy. > > Does anyone know another way of doing this ? > > Thanks, > > Darran

Darran,

SAS/CONNECT is "single-threaded" i.e. it operates synchronously with the server and always waits for the remote submitted code to finish processing on the server. However, Version 7 (out Real Soon Now) is reputed to allow asynchronous remote submit processing i.e. you remote submit your code, then your PC continues to process local code and checks back now and then for a semaphore indicating that remote processing has completed.

The 'Submit continue" syntax is used with SAS/AF to cause code to run immediately, rather than after the exit of the SAS/AF routine, but does not mean that asynchronous operation with a server is possible.

Tim Churches