Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Tue, 20 Oct 1998 16:56:44 -0400
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:   "Brucken, Nancy" <Nancy.Brucken@WL.COM>
Subject:   Re: Writing EXCEL Files In SAS
Comments:   To: Joe CarpenterATZ <jcarpent@ZOO.UVM.EDU>

Hi Joe, There are a couple of different ways to create Excel spreadsheets from SAS. If you're just dumping data and don't care what it looks like, you can use PROC DBLOAD (part of SAS/ACCESS)- this takes the contents of a dataset, optionally puts labels on the first line, and then populates the rest of the spreadsheet with the values. Quick, but not acceptable if the output has to look "pretty". Another approach is to use Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE). To do this, you set up a DDE link between SAS and Excel, and then use the SAS PUT statement to dump the data into Excel. You have all of the functionality of the DATA step to control where and how to place the output, and can also call Excel macros from SAS to do such things as open the workbook to the correct worksheet, format cells, copy and paste ranges, etc. We've been using that method, and you can do quite a bit with it, though the programming can get a bit detailed. There is some information on Excel and DDE out on the SAS Tech Support web page, and there was a very good article in the 2Q96 issue of Observations (prior to the online version) Finally, I think you can accomplish the same thing using OLE, but I'm still researching that method- if you're not familiar with Windows API calls (which I am definitely not!), it doesn't look too straightforward. Hope this helps. If you have any questions, please ask. Nancy

Nancy Brucken Parke-Davis, QIP (734) 622-5767 Internet address: Nancy.Brucken@wl.com