Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (October 1998, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 16 Oct 1998 14:51:05 -0700
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Self, Karsten" <kself@VISA.COM>
Subject:      Re: SAS and version control systems
Comments: To: "Brucken, Nancy" <Nancy.Brucken@wl.com>

I've used RCS in small workgroups with good success. There are more comprehensive tools including CVS and BitKeeper (http://www.bitmover.com/bitkeeper/), all of which are freely available. Most of these are command-line based systems, which works fine for me. There are a number of products (mostly proprietary) which provide a GUI interface.

My suggestion is to stick with a system based on RCS or SCCS for portability and open access. There are a number of books available on the subject, include "Applying RCS and SCCS" by O'Reilly, and one from Hewlett-Packard whose title slips my mind at the moment. Email me at kmself@ix.netcom.com and I'll dig it up for you.

Version control is best applied to source code and possible program logs. For datasets, databases, and most large binary structures, I prefer alternate versioning or recovery methods (data regeneration, backups, RDBMS rollback, etc.).

-- Karsten M. Self (kself@visa.com) Trilogy Consulting