Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1998)Back to main GABO-L pageJoin or leave GABO-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Mon, 21 Dec 1998 03:28:12 EST
Sender:   Georgia Birders Online <GABO-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:   Rick West <RickLWest@AOL.COM>
Subject:   CBC & other Owls

To GABers:

For the Breeding Bird Atlas (gbba), the breeding season for GH Owls began Dec 15, and barn owl sightings are accepted year round.

I urge all CBCer to turn in the location of GH and Barn owls found during the counts. All the compilers have (or will shortly receive) a map of their CBC circle imposed on the Atlas grid. If you do not have a discussion of the owl locations during compilation, please send me the location of owls you found. I need enough detail so I can place the owls on a detailed road map. CBC name, and estimated distance and direction from an intersection will do.

For GH Owl, the gbba has reports from only 100 of the 4000 survey blocks of Ga. We are doing slightly better on our statistical sample, for which we have reports from 66 of the 650 central-east priority blocks (10%). There are less Barn Owl reports. CBC reports are particularly needed from barrier islands or other areas where special permission and arrangements are required. GH Owls are much less vocal in early summer when most of the gbba field work is do than they are now.

Reports are needed of these owls also from other field trips or around your neighborhood. It makes a lot of sense to plead for serendipitous reports before driving to an area where a report is needed just to see if a GHO can be located.

If you are going birding anyway, wouldn't it be nice to arrive just before first light to listen for owls and woodcocks, then listen to the first chips of the day, and maybe hear a Wood Duck or night-heron fly by. Let me know what you hear.

All reports I receive will be formatted for the gbba and passed on to Regional Coordinators and to Todd Schneider.

For information for all those who live in the Atlanta area, we have only the following records posted (and there are some yet to be posted): USGS quadrangle block report Northeast Atlanta NE Pair CW Fledged young CE Fledged young

Northwest Atlanta SE Pair (just reported)

Southeast Atlanta no reports

Southwest Atlanta SW Fledged young

The during which we will accept any report of owls seen or heard are Barn Owl anytime GH Owl Dec 15 - June 30 Barred Owl Feb 10 - June 30 Screech Owl Mar 15 - June 30