Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1998, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 28 Dec 1998 15:43:24 -0600
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         Jack Hamilton <jack_hamilton@FIRSTHEALTH.COM>
Subject:      Re: tranferring data files from VMS (6.09) to UNIX (6.12)
Comments: To: paulette@fiu.edu

Paulette Johnson <paulette@fiu.edu> wrote:

>I have tried to use cport and cimport to tranfer SAS data files from the >VAX to our new machine. I am just an amateur with UNIX and although I >have many manuals, I don't have the correct tech report (P-195?). > >Here's what I've done so far. > >(1) ********Used cport to save a transport datafile***********************

I have had more consistent luck using transport datasets created with the XPORT engine with PROC COPY than I have had using CPORT and CIMPORT.

Also, PROC COPY lets you selectively import datasets, whereas PROC CIMPORT requires you to import all the datasets.

[...]

>VMS called the new file bothbin.dat. > >(2) I ftped this file using a binary transfer to the UNIX machine which I >believed worked (IMAGE retrieve of file).

This might also be a problem. Make sure that the file on the VMS side has the proper attributes (probably fixed records length=80). There might be some kind of carriage control attribute you have to set; check the online usage notes.

>Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a lot of files that need to >be transported this week before the VAX goes down. >Thanks in advance.

If you have SAS/CONNECT on both machines, you could use PROC UPLOAD (or PROC DOWNLOAD) to transfer the datasets without transport-format intermediaries.

You might be able to use the SASFFIO (I think) experimental engine on the Unix machine to read the VMS datasets directly (I haven't had any luck with that from Windows, but I don't know if it's a Windows bug or an engine bug).

You might also take a look at DBMS/COPY (www.conceptual.com), but it might not fit your schedule.