Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Tue, 5 Jan 1999 11:28:04 -0600
Sender:   "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:   Jolie Kanter <neon@ASAN.COM>
Subject:   Re: SPSS memory proplems

Adding another 32 Mb RAM and upgrading to Win 98 should result in much better performance. Also, make sure to run defragmentation utilities regularly to optimize the hard drive. (Rebooting from Windows often causes file fragmentation which degrades performance further.)

James Ross wrote: > > I am using SPSS 8.0 in a computer lab consisting of 24 computers plus > one for the instructor. We had problems with memory allocation all > semester...just running something as basic as Frequencies or > Crosstabs. Our Computer Services department informs me that this is > something to be ecpected using SPSS and there isn't anything that can > be done. In addition, we have had monitors freeze up and the screen > loolks like a bad satellite feed..only rebooting clears the monitor. > > any suggestions? > > win 95 > 32 meg ram > 3.0 gig free on the hard drive > running on a novell network > spss loaded on each machine in the lab > > james > > ------------------------------- > James F. Ross > Instructor of Psychology > Southwest Baptist University > Bolivar, Missouri > jross@sbuniv.edu > Fax: 417.326.1732 > Voice: 417.326.1735