Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 Jan 1999 13:28:01 -0600
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         Jolie Kanter <neon@ASAN.COM>
Subject:      Re: Median-split (an easy one!)

Rich,

Reading your reply made my heart race, as your reaction to my question seemed quite strong. Why are "dietary self-efficacy" and "Likert" so mystifying?

Perhaps I should clarify. In the context of my study, dietary self-efficacy is a measure of one's perceived expectations for success in modifying food-related behaviors, such as reducing intake of dietary fat by substituting whole milk with nonfat milk. In other words, how strongly does a person agree/disagree that he/she would be successful in adapting and maintaining a healthy diet.

My aim is to test the hypothesis that high dietary self-efficacy (measured by an 18 item instrument with a 5 point likert scale with responses ranging from strongly disagree to strongly agree) is a predictor of dietary fat reduction. Dietary fat intake will be measured at baseline and again at three years post-treatment. The treatment is a behaviorally oriented program leading to dietary change and weight loss. The dependent variables are dietary fat intake and body weight at post-tx followup. It is hypothesized that high dietary self-efficacy scores at baseline will be associated with greater reduction in dietary fat and greater weight loss at followup.

How would you design the data analysis, and what tests would you employ? (Please don't keep me waiting in suspense. I can hardly wait to read your reply.)

Jolie