Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 23 Jan 1999 20:16:30 GMT0BST
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         Panos PAPANIKOLAOU <PapanikolaouP@CARDIFF.AC.UK>
Subject:      Re: conver character to numeric format

Dear All,

I have a SAS perm data-set which was created after importing an Excel file. SAS 6.12 v. was capable of reading correctly the Xls file. However, the Excel file had some variables read as character. When I looked at the variables and printed several cases I noticed that these are NOT character but actually NUMERIC. I have used SAS to produce the means & std of these variables. It rightly responds telling me that these variables are CHARACTER. (This is because they have been initially read as character, an imported Excel file).

To me, it would be very complicated indeed to change the variable format in Excel and the read it in SAS. So, I am wondering if I'd have SAS read these variables as NUMERIC. That is, do you know the way that SAS will be able to recognise these variables not as CHARACTER but as NUMERIC variables.If so, this would allow me to use the proc means and univariate to derive useful stats info about them. I would be grateful if I would have any suggestions on what to do.

Thank you very much indeed for taking the time to consider my request. I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours Sincerely Panos Papanikolaou Research Fellow UWCM Great Britain.