Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Tue, 26 Jan 1999 16:11:42 -0500
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:   "Michael A. Raithel" <MICHAEL.RAITHEL@RAITHM49.CUSTOMS.SPRINT.COM>
Subject:   (MVS): Re(6) Seq Numbers pos 72-80

Zeke Torres posted the following questions:

>Ok, I've known about this thing since I can remember >typing 'SUB' for the first time. > >I'll explain a little for those that dont know.. > >Where in your SAS code the Sequence numbers in position >73-80 can cause problems because SAS thinks they are part >of your code. SAS will crash because those numbers are >not valid SAS code (variables etc). > >Those numbers are used for COBOL, JCL and other languages. > >I always check for them. I set my SAS Libs/Members to >NUMbers OFF. Its a religious thing for me, because I find >it annoying to get a call because of them. Yet they are >sometimes everywhere (I call them roach SSN's). > >However, I dont really know of a SAS Option to KEEP SAS >from reading past @72. (going out of bounds) > >I have reviewed and found sooo many of my clients code >with them its amazing. I know how they crop up. You cant >really stop that when sooo many people edit the code. The >problem is when they put it back into production and it >goes down like the titanic. > >Yeah they should have tested, but sometimes they dont wash >up after the bath room, why should you expect them to >TEST/QA. EWWWW ok bad analogy. > > >Does anyone: > >A. Know the exact reason (technical) of why this happens >so I can explain it to other people. I'd love to know >more. > >B. Is this a SAS only problem? > >C. Is there a SAS Option to keep SAS in the INBOUNDS of >the code? This way I can 'educate' the masses where >applicable. > >Regardless, I hope this makes some people aware of this if >they didnt already know. >

Zeke, yea,what a pain Sequence Numbers can be when they crop up! I've been aware of them since... since... since OS/370... For some reason I rarely run across them anymore, and they do not normally plague me.

I see that you have already received a number of great replies that will resolve your sequence number problem. I'll tell you what I do to get rid of them in a PDS member. I simply use the "RUN" methodology on the command line. RUN is an acronym that stands for:

Renum Unnum Nonum

By typing the three commands, above, one-by-one on the command line, and hitting <ENTER> (after typing each one), you will renumber your lines on the left of the PDS and eliminate the lines on the right. RUN is an easy acronym to remember and I use it on the rare occasion when I need to ensure that a member of an unfamiliar PDS has no hidden surprises.

Zeke, you can count on the RUN method to eliminate your sequence numbers! Best of luck in your SAS endeavors under that most exhilarating of operating systems: OS/390 (MVS)!

Of course, all of these opinions and insights are my own, and do not reflect those of my organization or my associates.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Michael A. Raithel "The man who wrote the book on performance" E-mail: maraithel@erols.com Author: Tuning SAS Applications in the MVS Environment +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ...they're a giving you a number, and a taking away your name... +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++