Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1999)Back to main GABO-L pageJoin or leave GABO-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 Feb 1999 22:15:31 -0500
Sender:       Georgia Birders Online <GABO-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         Earl Horn <EARL_HORN@HP-USA-OM1.OM.HP.COM>
Subject:      Ross' Geese

A question came up over the weekend regarding the Ross' Geese' origin since they are in with about twenty farm geese. I went out today to talk to the owner. He was not there, however, his brother-in-law stopped to see what I was doing. He gave me the name and number of the owner and I was able to talk with him tonight.

He was very friendly and when I started asking him about his geese he called them his celebrity geese. I asked and he said that yes he had noticed that there were people showing up looking at them through scopes. I asked if he minded and he said no he didn't.

He said that the smaller of the two showed up about two years ago and has never left. The larger one arrived two months ago with eight Canvasbacks. The Canvasbacks stayed for only a couple of days and the larger Ross' has remained. It will be very interesting to see what happens when the time comes for them to head north. If the larger one is a male and leaves will the smaller one, possibly female, leave with it or will they both stay? Or will the larger one leave and the smaller one stay?

Only time will tell and I will follow up with the owner occasionally to find out what happens.

Best regards,

Earl Horn Lawrenceville, Ga. earl_horn@hp.com