Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1999)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 Feb 1999 13:35:22 -0800
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         Jeffrey Quon <quon@INTERCHANGE.UBC.CA>
Subject:      recoding date of birth

Apologies in advance if this question proves too elementary, however...

I would like to help a colleague analyse a large data set (containing over 4600 cases). We need to start by tabulating frequencies for SUBJECTS LESS THAN 1 YEAR OF AGE, and SUBJECTS AGES 1 TO 4 YEARS. The data are coded in the following manner:

> ...for birthday 10195 means > that the child was born on January 1st, 1995 and I can get the age of > children under 1 yr. by subtracting date of death minus date of birth, but before > that I have to > change the format for these two variables (change to 950101 or 01-01-95 for > example)

(I was hoping to use SPSS version 8.0, assuming it will handle a data set this large).

Jeff