Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999)Back to main GABO-L pageJoin or leave GABO-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 Mar 1999 09:35:25 -0500
Sender:       Georgia Birders Online <GABO-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         Mary Elfner <elfnerm@THEMPC.COM>
Subject:      Crooked River, Okefenokee, and Cumberland

While reviewing some sites for the Coastal Birding Trail, I visited Crooked River State Park, Okefenokee Swamp and Folkston, and Cumberland Island National Seashore this weekend.

Like Mike Chapman and Coastal Audubon on Little St. Simons, I heard and saw the first few Northern Parulas, Yellow-throated Warblers, and Blue-gray Gnatcatchers on Cumberland in the Live-Oak Maritime Forest just north of the Dungeness ruins. All 3 of these species are getting ready to 'explode' on the barrier islands, hopefully. Also on Cumberland, a Blue-headed Vireo, a White-eyed Vireo, and many Yellow-rumped Warblers. I looked for any unusual gulls on the beach and while riding the ferry, but only saw Ring-bills, Laughing, and Herrings.

On Trail Ridge on the way into the eastern entrance to the Okefenokee, heard and saw 2 Red-cockaded Woodpeckers. Didn't spend much time in the swamp as it was pouring rain most of the day.

At Crooked River State Park, several Hermit Thrushes, White-throated Sparrows, Rufous-sided Towhees. Hundreds of Yellow-rumps and Tree Swallows. Looked for other swallows but didn't spot any.

Oh yes, on the ferry to Cumberland on the St. Mary's River, a group of about 30 American White Pelicans on a small exposed sand bar at the edge of the marsh.

There is a great B&B in Folkston run by Roger and Genna Wangsness called The Inn at Folkston. They are very interesting and run a great business - it's worth a visit. They have a web site at www.innatfolkston.com

Mary Elfner Savannah, GA