Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999)Back to main GABO-L pageJoin or leave GABO-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 7 Mar 1999 10:16:22 -0500
Sender:       Georgia Birders Online <GABO-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         Libby Howze <tlhowze@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      flycatchers?

I spent last week on Amelia Island, Florida. While I was out walking on 3-3 afternoon, I saw a pair of bald eagles circling the marsh on the south end of the island and came upon a flock of cedar waxwings (50+) in trees surrounding a small pool. They were darting or hovering in the air from their perches, snagging bugs in the air 20-30' feet above the pool, acting more like flycatchers than the berry eaters I thought they were. But my question is, in the trees all over the Plantation there were hundreds of small birds (not in flocks like the waxwings) that darted out from trees to catch bugs. They were probably 5 1/2", small and short warbler-like beaks, had white throats (their most obvious feature to me), two white wing bars, and occasionally I glimpsed a tinge of yellow on the edges of the breast. If they had eye rings, they weren't obvious to me. I think they were either Least or Acadian flycatchers. They made a single "thic" sound repeatedly. I would appreciate any assistance Gabers can provide in helping me with this identification. Libby Howze Tucker

[text/html]