Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Thu, 18 Mar 1999 17:19:04 -0500
Sender:   "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:   Michael Mallen <mjmallen@BOOMBOX.MICRO.UMN.EDU>
Subject:   SORT CASES

Hi, I ran into an error message when I SORT CASES.

The syntax I wrote is: GET FILE = 'D:\LOS_SYS\HHA\SYSTEM\DE8209.SAV'. COMPUTE YMD_HAFR=YRMODA(HAYYFR,HAMMFR,HADDFR). COMPUTE YMD_HATD=YRMODA(HAYYTD,HAMMTD,HADDTD). SORT CASES BY HIC_T YMD_HAFR YMDHATD.

The error message came after theSORT CASES command: FILE: C:\TEMP\SPSSB2.TMP ERROR: NO SPACE LEFT ON DEVICE

>ERROR #5817. COMMAND NAME: SORT CASES BY >THE SPSS FILE SORT HAS FAILED. THE FILE REMAINS UNSORTED. THE SPECIFIC PROBLEM IS PRINTED BELOW. >THIS COMMAND NOT EXECUTED.

>ERROR #5822. COMMAND NAME: SORT CASES BY >I/O ERROR WRITING TO THE SORT SCRATCH FILE.

The size of SPSS system file 'DE8209.SAV' is 190 MBytes with 587440 cases. (There was no error in sorting another similar system file of 114 MBytes with 353511 cases.) My PC is running NT with C: drive in FAT and D: drive in NTFS. There are 534 MBytes available on C drive and 619 MBytes on D drive. Please show me what causes this error and how to solve it. Thanks