Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Mar 1999 14:13:32 +0100
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:         Adolf Quast <adolf-a.quast@DB.COM>
Subject:      Re: Concatenating Character Variables + Converting Date Values

Hi,

here are the solutions for your problems:

Note that you need the TRIM-function to get rid of trailing blanks.

/* 1. Concatenate two character-variables */

data _NULL_ ;

PRENAME = "FRED" ; SURNAME = "LYCETT" ;

NAME = trim(PRENAME) !! " " !! trim(SURNAME) ;

put NAME= ;

run ;

Note that the solutions for DATE2 and DATE3 only show the convertion from a character-variable into another character-variable.

Another solution would be to create a SAS-Datevalue and define a format for it (Variable DATE4).

/* 2. Converting Date-Values */

data TEST ;

length DATE1-DATE3 $ 10 /* character */ DATE4 8 ; /* numeric */

DATE1 = "02281999" ; /* Original date string */

DATE2 = put(input(DATE1,mmddyy8.),ddmmyy8.) ; DATE3 = put(input(DATE1,mmddyy8.),eurdfdd10.) ; /* New european format */ DATE4 = input(DATE1,mmddyy8.) ;

put DATE1= ; put DATE2= ; put DATE3= ; put DATE4= ;

format DATE4 eurdfdd10. ;

run ;

Hope that helps,

Adolf Quast