Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1999, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Mon, 8 Mar 1999 06:20:53 +1100
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU>
From:   Tim Churches <tchur@BIGPOND.COM>
Subject:   Re: A version of SAS which runs under Linux?
Comments:   To: Peter Crawford <Peter@CRAWFORDSOFTWARE.DEMON.CO.UK>

Peter Crawford writes: >v6.04 is a very much better idea than v5 > I can't imagine any commercial reason to object to such an old release. > Particularly, given the arguments you offer. >I assume there would be no support from SAS Institute for free-SAS. >SI can't be getting much business from ms-dos customers. >So what have they to lose ? >I hope SAS Institute recognise the merit of your proposal

Thanks Peter. No, I don't think that anyone would expect SI to provide technical support for freeSAS - I imagine that most support would be via this list or (better perhaps) another list set up especially for freeSAS newbies.

If SI gave their permission, I am sure that a co-operative effort (in the best Linux tradition) could be organised to scan in all of the old SAS manuals which are relevant to SAS V6.04 and convert them to, say, PDF (Adobe Acrobat) format. We do this quite a lot with old documents and find that 30 or 40 pages of text scanned in comes to about 1 megabyte when converted to PDF format, meaning that individual chapters could be made available in a form which is practical for downloading from the Internet. That means a Web site. Yes, I am sure a "freeSAS" Web site could be established (www.freesas.org?). As I have already noted, if SI gives its assent, I am also sure a merry international band of testers of SAS V6.04 under DOSemu under Linux could be assembled who would do all the testing necessary. In fact SI could refer the whole issue of whether free-SAS ran under Linux to the freeSAS special interest group.

That means that SI doesn't have to do anything except release a version of SAS V6.04 for DOS with the setinit stuff removed (freeSAS) and then bask in the limelight and reap the rewards...

> >(There was a 6.02 release, quickly replaced by 6.03, and later 6.04. > The embryonic display manager, supported more windows than the 3 you > remember : Options, Title, Footnote, LIBname, DIRectory, CATalog, as > well as ACCess and drill-down was supported from the lib window. > The build directory window, first available in this early release, > continues to provide unique services in 6.12. > I think the total number of windows in 6.04 was over 30. >)

Yes, I omitted to mention all the ancilliary windows. Luckily 6.02 predates my SAS experience!

Cheers,

Tim C